Saturday, October 24, 2009

Smoke

One of the first things that mental illness teaches you is not to trust yourself.

The things your head tells you are sometimes disturbing sometimes sad and sometimes confusing. I spent a huge portion of my life wholly paranoid and worried that I would be institutionalized. I heard voices and was convinced my family were trying to hurt me. I spent a lot of time trying to hide things from everyone, because I was so scared and angry.

One night, I was in the car with my younger brother, and I said You know how sometimes you hear a voice whispering to you, but there isn't anyone there? And he turned and gave me a long steady look and said No. I really don't. And that was when I knew that it was not normal. Or ok.

It has taken me a decade to learn to trust my feelings. I had to get my medicine to the point where I was fairly stable, which was hard enough, but then I had to learn to listen to myself. This, in direct conflict with a lifetime spent ignoring those things, labelling them untrustworthy, knowing myself to be untrustworthy.

Today is not then. I rarely doubt myself these days, rarely hesitate to make decisions, to trust my instincts. So hard to achieve, some days I thought I never would get it, that I could never read the social signals, that I would always be other, outside, apart.

And today I am not other, I am a part of, I am inside, and finally I am whole. I can read the social cues, and, as they say, I intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle me.

What a gift.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting to this point. I am a depression and anxiety girl, still working on the medication balance. Mainly b/c I wasn't diagnosed until 27. I can't really imagine what it will be like to feel happy and to go through a day without a knot in the pit of my stomache. Won't that be exciting?

    ReplyDelete